Skip to main content

FEAST -- WE LIKE IT RAW. MEYER LEMON BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE (AND OTHER STORIES ON HEALTH)


Okay-- so I know I said health posts were coming... and hopefully you didn't think I'd go all salad and quinoa on you right away!  To start, I should clue you all in that I can't really "bake" anything, so I figured I'd throw together a raw desert where the only thing I had left to do was freeze it!  Easy as cake! So, as you may have guessed I'm not really making any bold moves here, this is a very simple recipe to make as long as you have a good (enough) blender.  

Why I've been considering more "raw" options as well as easing into a grain-free diet isn't a fad or a plan to lose weight.  Last November after having Sofia, I was rushed to the ER one night for excruciating abdominal pain.  We didn't know if it was appendicitis, an ovarian cyst, an ulcer... there were so many possibilities.  You name it.  After a long eight hours and a rude staff to boot, I was sent home with some Maylox, Vicodin, and an unclear diagnosis.  The only thing they thought might be causing all this pain was gastritis, or more easily described as, an inflamed stomach lining.

For months, I did nothing.

I ate the same way I always ate, yet still expected to just miraculously feel better one day.  I knew I had to eventually put an end to all the pain I was in.  I did a little research on eating less grains, less sugar, and basically a lot less crappy stuff and more delicious, whole foods.

It's definitely still an ongoing processes, but I can honestly say that this time I'm dedicated to making a change, and have blocked off the entire month of April to ease into this new diet.  To further my seriousness this time around, I've even hired a certified holistic health coach through April to make sure I stick to it.  Mmm-hmm.  Big changes are coming.


It just so happened we were walking around in Whole Foods yesterday when, *GASP!*  to my surprise, I had finally found some Meyer lemons!  I've been searching high and low for what seems like forever for these little guys and I knew I had to incorporate them into my cooking over the course of the week.  I had big plans for some lemon curd, too... but... I used them all.  Oops.

It's honestly really hard to mess up this recipe.  Honestly though I almost messed it up until I texted Abby to see how the hell I was going to get... the cheesecake... out of the pan.  Seriously who has a springform pan just laying around?  Good news is -- you can totally skate by with your regular 9 inch round pan, you just need a little finesse and a few silent prayers before you invert your dreamcake onto a plate.


MEYER LEMON BLUEBERRY RAW CHEESECAKE:
(adapted from this recipe and this one and also Coco's.)


FOR THE CRUST:
• 2 cups of raw almonds (soaked overnight)
• 1 cup of walnuts (soaked overnight)
• 1/2 cup of dates or dried cranberries
• 1/4 cup of dry, unsweetened coconut flakes


FOR THE FILLING:
• one bag of Whole Foods 365 brand raw cashews (soaked overnight)
• 1/2 cup of Meyer lemon juice
• 3/4 cup of raw honey
• 1 cup of raw coconut oil
• 1 cup of frozen or fresh blueberries
• 1 vanilla bean, pod split lengthwise and seeds scraped (or 1tsp. vanilla)
• 1 tsp. himalayan pink sea salt

FOR THE TOPPING:
• 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
• 1/4 cup of raw honey
• dash of cinnamon
• zest of one Meyer lemon



PART ONE:
For your crust, you'll want to have prepped all of your nuts (soaked) the night before.  This makes it a LOT easier on your blender.  "Trust me," says the girl who doesn't have enough money to own a Vitamix.  Place all crust ingredients except for the coconut into your blender or food processor and blend to a consistency you'd like.  I prefer the crust a little on the chunkier side, but I'm sure a finer crust would work just as well!  Now, this is where I messed up-- I do not own a springform cake pan, so I used a regular 9 inch round pan... just make sure you place a plastic wrap lining prior to molding your crust.  (Otherwise you'll have to find a way to macgyver your cheesecake onto a platter!) Take those coconut flakes we left out and scatter them on the bottom of your cake pan to prevent the crust from sticking to the pan, then carefully mold in your crust mixture.

PART TWO:
For the filling, go ahead and load up your blender that you just cleaned back out with your juiced Meyer lemons, honey, vanilla beans, salt and coconut oil.  You'll want to heat up your coconut oil in the microwave for around 2 minutes prior to tossing it into your blender due to its solid-ness while being stored.  Once your liquids are mixed, you'll slowly want to begin adding in your cashews -- wait a minute now, don't get too jumpy!  If you put too many in at once they'll just get stuck, and your blender... well... it will fight you.  You need to outsmart your blender. ;)  The "cheese" filling is done when it tastes great and is a creamy, smooth consistency.

Pour about half to three-quarters of your filling on top of your crust, then take what's left of your "cheese" mixture and add those blueberries and back to the blender it goes.  After the final round with your mixer, spread the blueberry filling on top and put in your freezer until ready to use.  To serve this raw cheesecake, leave it thaw on the counter until it's soft enough to run a serrated knife through.

PART THREE:
This cake is so delicious even by itself (I was scooping out the filling from my blender with a spoon...) but it also tastes great with some form of a topping if you're into that sort of thing.  I simply heated some blueberries, honey, zest, and cinnamon on the stove for a few minutes until little bubbles formed around the edges.  Let cool, then top that cake up!

Enjoy this deliciously good-for-you, gluten/dairy/egg/grain free raw dessert!

Comments

  1. Um, amazing! I am totally going to try this! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Have I already asked you if you read this blog? So much great natural health/traditional eating information.
    http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING, I am licking my lips. After this baby I plan on getting mass tested what I can & cant't eat, I struggle so much with the eeky feeling, good bye dairy products but hopefully it will actually make me a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kellie - thank you! you know what, I haven't heard of that blog yet! I'll definitely have to go check it out, it sounds right up my alley! x

    @victoria - you know what, once yo do, you'll feel so much more empowered to take control of your own life! Such a good feeling. x :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazingly yummy--thanks for sharing the recipe and tips. I look forward to trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow - the cake and your photos - gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to try this! I've had issues with making "real" cheesecake...the gelatin isn't easy to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And just realized I spelled substitute wrong. Oh, dear. Thanks for the love anyway everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how many cups are in a bag of Whole Foods 365 brand raw cashews?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK