Skip to main content

the birthing of alba mae










From the beginning, this pregnancy seemed so much the same, yet so distinctly different all at once.

I didn't get sick, I wasn't too turned away by my favorite foods, I had occasional heartburn here and there and overall, was able to relax and enjoy the experience.  What was strange was how differently I was carrying - having been told more times than I could count that I had looked as if I had "swallowed a basketball".  I think I was persuaded a few times in my head that maybe this was different, maybe it really was a baby boy.  Yet still, in my heart I had an overwhelming intuition I would be holding another little girl in my arms, someone so very similar to her sister yet so distinctly different all at once.

My little may flower.

Saturday night, the air was warm and sticky.  Sofia, Erick and I read stories by a big window fan in her room trying to distract ourselves from the heat in our upstairs apartment.  We finally caught the ice cream truck in time and Sofia ordered her first cone from this neighborhood novelty - vanilla with sprinkles (of course!)  That night I had felt an incredible urge to go the bathroom and stay there.  I had started having contractions, not much stronger than the Braxton Hicks I would have on a regular basis and still very inconsistant.  I had my hopes up, but shortly after the contractions had died down and we all went to bed.

I woke up the next day feeling an overwhelming sense of calm.  I woke unhurried, ate a large breakfast and headed off to work.  Making it through the days became increasingly difficult and I was happy the moment I was able to clock-out and head home.  Erick had gone to see an action movie with one of the 'guys' so, naturally Sofia and I had a date of our own, cuddled on the couch watching the most cliché chick flick a pregnant mama could watch: What To Expect When You're Expecting. It was perfect. While she usually has been transitioning to her big-girl bed, I felt the need to cuddle my little girl.  The movie ended, we headed to bed and shortly after Erick had joined us and we snuggled warm together.

Around 4:00 AM, I woke to cramping.

This was immediately different, as I had never awoken from any type of pain in my pregnancy before.  The cramps seemed mild and period-like and continued on like this for another hour.  At 5:00 in the morning I had decided to get up and try to use the bathroom, when I had wiped, I saw blood and quickly realized that labor was imminent.  I woke Erick up with the biggest smile on my face and told him "this was it, we could be having our baby soon!" not sure whether it would be today or tomorrow, but I knew it was time.  I couldn't sleep.  I took a photo of my sleeping Sofia, wrote a blog post, washed the last of my baby linens in natural detergent, soaking up every sweet smell and imagining our newborn swaddled tightly in my arms.  The cramping continued and so did my urge to clean.  My dishes were washed, my stove and sink bleached, my energy levels soared to heights I hadn't seen in 39 weeks.  I was alert and calm.

I brewed a piping hot pour-over of my favorite Uganda beans and lit incense.  I focused my attention inwards, staying in tune with every change my body was experiencing.  Erick woke up for work and asked if he should leave. Thinking I would have a few hours of early labor before contractions got intense, I sent him on his way.  I cooked breakfast for Sofia and tried to rest.  Not long after Erick had left, the cramping had turned into distinct contractions and I decided to phone the midwife on call.  In the time she had talked to me, I had two contractions I was unable to talk through and was advised to start packing my bags and get ready to head in.

I drew a warm bath and immediately requested Erick come home from work.  It was around 9:00AM.  While the bath was filling up, the contractions started coming every 5 minutes and Sofia watched as I breathed deeply, clutching to whatever was in sight. While trying to undress, a few contractions had brought me to the ground on all fours, focusing deeply to ride out each wave. Sofia naturally did what any toddler would do, and climbed on my back as I was on the ground looking exactly like we were about to play "horsey" and then promptly told me to "giddy up!"

It took all the strength I had, but I laughed. My girl.

She joined me in the tub, quiet moments in the morning her and I.  She took her teacup and gently poured water over my belly as I quietly breathed. We held on to each other, embraced in the warm water and I closed my eyes.  I was doing this exactly as I had always imagined I would.  I had the most important person in the world taking care of me.

Erick came home and got Sofia dressed and ready to see Abuela, and I spent the next moments trying to pull myself from the comforting buoyancy of the water.

Getting dressed seemed impossible, as did mentally checking-off my list of things not to forget when heading to the hospital.

It was sometime after 10:30 in the morning, I had kissed Sofia goodbye silently between some of my strongest contractions yet.  We headed into the car in what seemed like the longest 30 minute drive to the hospital.  Every bump in the road, every red light was a mental challenge I had to make my way through.  At one point in the car I remember looking over to Erick and telling him straight to his face "I don't think I can do this," to which he replied without hesitation, "Yes baby you can. You were made to do this."

We pulled up to the hospital valet and my contractions were coming three minutes apart.  Though I'm not much of a runner, I expect this is what those last few miles of the marathon feel like - talking to yourself in your head and reminding yourself you can make it through, yet physically pacing yourself to the finish line.  Erick must've known the way I had flung my arms around his shoulders and leaned deep into each pain, eyes closed, breathing deeply and nearly silent.  Focused.

The nurses in triage were asking me every question imaginable, I had to sign papers, photocopy my ID and insurance card, get weighed, take off my clothing.  The next set of contractions I was feeling were intense, my deep and quiet breaths had turned into audible low noises like my body was pushing air out of my lungs.  This was different.  I didn't think it was physically possible to walk anywhere else, to get myself on a table for my internal exam to see just how much progress I had made laboring at home.

A complete 10 centimeters.

If I wasn't so completely inward focusing on my body, I would have hugged and kissed the nurse who just told me.

The next few minutes were a blur. Nurses everywhere were rushing around me speaking about how we needed to get me to a room - and quickly.  I started making those same primal noises during my contractions and I realized my body was involuntarily pushing.  Moving our baby closer and closer to this earth.  My eyes stayed closed as I felt the air caress my face as I was wheeled quickly down the hall.  On the way to our delivery room I was told to pant like a puppy if I didn't want to have my baby in an elevator.  I wanted to listen, but my body had already known what to do and was following through in its plans.  There was no time for a waterbirth, no time for a tub.

Soon I heard the soft, sweet voice of my midwife Carol telling me the hard work was over, that it was time. She told me our baby had a beautiful set of hair. I smiled.

They dimmed the lights, I held on to Erick's hand tightly and at 11:36 in the morning, only a half hour after barely arriving to the hospital, she was born.  She was a girl, a beautiful baby girl.  Our Alba Mae. Perfectly pink, vernix coating the ends of her thick hair with the sweetest cry I had ever heard. They placed her naked on my chest and I told her over and over how much I loved her.  Erick and I kept looking at each other in complete shock at how fast it had all happened.  I asked him if I was dreaming, the rising and falling chest on top of my own reminded me that I wasn't.

I finally understand why some women describe their births as blissful or joyous.  There is no doubt that I was in pain during my later contractions, but as a whole, it was a mental and physical challenge I found to be strangely enjoyable and positively rewarding. High on the magical hormones of motherhood, I was determined to be home in my own bed as soon as they'd allow it - we spent one magical night watching the sunrise in our beautiful hospital recovery room, and once we all checked out healthy, we immediately headed to our nest. Ready to start our lives together.

Recovery has been a dream, almost too good to be true. I am free of pain and positively glowing. Sofia is adjusting beautifully, just as I knew she would. She has the biggest heart, and one that has seemed to double in size for her new baby "seester".

Our two beautiful girls, our hearts outside of our bodies.

Living, breathing miracles.

more photos

Comments

  1. These are gorgeous! Congratulations on your new addition, she's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Mama! She's a beaut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing and exciting birth story. I'm already looking forward to the next time I get to experience those first moments of overwhelming triumph and love. I can't imagine opening my heart to a second beautiful child, but I'm sure it's incredible. Congratulations to you, Erick, and Sofia! Such a beautiful name, too.

    Also, I totally have a near identical picture of me in a hospital bed, phone in hand, hiding from the camera. Husbands are wonderful people, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so lucky!! It really sounds like such a wonderful experience and I hope so much mine goes something like yours! My belly is measuring in at 39 weeks already (I'll be 36 tomorrow), so at this stage it's looking like another big babe birth for me, but we'll see.
    I love the horsey story and that you were really able to share some of the experience with little Sofia. How very special. Soak it all in and enjoy every moment, your girls are beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a beautiful birth story. Today is my due date and I can only hope that my second birth goes this smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kate, I feel kind of breathless just reading this beautiful story. Well done you! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are all so beautiful Kate, they truly capture such a momentous occasion! The second to last photo of Alba sleeping is amazing. Alba's birth sounds so joyous - intense but also calm and peaceful. Well done, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you - that you got to experience such joyous birth. I adore Alba, all of your photos and might I say...I can't quite get over the view from your hospital room; it's amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations - how absolutely wonderful...oooh you have made me so clucky! Enjoy every second - much love xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a beautiful birth. I got really teary eyed reading it. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit choked up after reading that. You were so calm and so focused, huge congratulations again. Labour sounds amazing - you write so well that I'm almost looking forward to the day I do it myself, is that crazy!?

    Flora x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a magnificent story! And what a magnificent Mumma, bravo lovely lady. She is divine :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a beautiful story... i'm taking the positive vibes from this second birth of yours and trying my hardest to channel them toward myself! this sounds like such a wonderful birthing experience, so perfect for you and your family. love the sense of calm and love.

    alba is gorgeous. that hair!
    congratulations to the four of you, sweet mama! i'm really happy to hear all is absolutely well for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. such an amazing ad beautiful story, kate. i'm so happy for you and your growing family!

    jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uhm I need a gorgeous hospital with gorgeous windows like that where I live haha! Beautiful photos and such a beautiful birth story! Congrats again. :)

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful, so many congratulations xx

    Harri
    at-rubik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful story. I read every single word and loved it. Thank you for sharing! Congratulations to you and your family. She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my. The most beautiful birth story I think I've ever read!
    Congratulations again guys,so lovely to have shared this journey with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations lovely lady and welcome to gorgeous Alba Mae.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These words will be such a gift to sweet Alba, and the generations after hers. You have created two beautiful little lives. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just gorgeous... I wish you a beautiful and restful nesting period with your sweet little girls. Enjoy enjoy enjoy. Imogen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a moving story. Thank you so much for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a beautiful journey, how lucky alba is to be born into such a loving family. cole arrived just on half an hour after arriving at hospital too! and that hospital room might be the most beautiful I have EVER seen! enjoy this wonderful time together xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a beautiful story, bringing tears to my eyes. I love that you told her over and over how much you loved her. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am utterly in love. I have the biggest lump in my throat picturing sweet Sofia with you while you were having contractions. What an unforgettable moment.

    Well done, Mama. And worth every every moment, I have no doubt.

    Welcome, Sweet Alba Mae.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are amazing! Wow. What a perfect birth, and that view from the hospital room... I would've stayed all week! Lots of love to you and your family of 4 x

    ReplyDelete
  27. You make it sound so tranquil! (I am grateful for that) ;) I'm beaming that Alba's journey and yours was such an incredible experience. I can only hope for the same. Sofia and Alba are both pretty awesome, but you don't need me to tell you that. And Erick too - just a few words of encouragement brought me to tears. Hoping you can all catch up on rest soon :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. WATER WORKS! This was such a beautiful read, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful Kate! Thanks for sharing your photos and story. Congratulations on you new beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was beautiful! I got teary eyed!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful! Well done, mama!
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful! Oh I do love a birth story. I loved the bit about Sofia getting on your back and telling you to 'giddy up'! brilliant moment. And so many congratulations on your newest beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  33. How did I miss all these posts? Oh this is just a beautiful birth story. I could weep. When people ask about having children, I always tell them the exact same thing: it is like carrying your heart outside of your body. this is beautiful Kate. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a truly beautiful birth story... so love-filled and empowering. I love that you spent those last precious moments at home with your darling Sofia. Precious xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. I notice that most other comments describe your birth story as beautiful but it really is. Thank you so much for sharing this - stories like this fill me with confidence going into this pregnancy xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK