Skip to main content

stories of birth : christine fadel



Today i have the wonderful opportunity of sharing a very special birth story from Christine Fadel of The C-Word. Having been so moved by my own recent experience and realizing the sheer power of it all, it only made sense to continue to spread the unique stories of strength from beautiful women around the world. Christine lives with her family in New York City. Her original birth story can be viewed on her blog, here.




what is the most memorable part of your labor and birth experience?

"As far as the most memorable goes, it would probably have to be that my water broke in a bar. I just HAD to have a burger that night for dinner and my husband wouldn't dare say no to me in my current state. I really felt like someone was playing a cruel joke on me. I was an agitated 41-week pregnant woman and I had just been told by my doctor that very morning that I would need to be induced- something I was very adamantly against. I spent that entire day wrapping my mind around the fact that my birth experience wasn't going to be what I had hoped for. The second that I came to terms with the new change in plans, Marlo proved to me (and everyone else in that restaurant) that I was no longer in control."


what didn't you expect?

"Honestly, all of it. I didn't expect things to happen so very quickly. Again, after being told by my doctors that I would need to be induced, I didn't expect that once my water broke, my contractions would start immediately at one to two minutes apart. There were no mild contractions and time to pack a bag like you read about in all of the books and hear from your friends. It was mayhem from the moment that the triage nurse told me that I was probably going to give birth on the toilet. I went immediately into an intensely active labor. Once we arrived and got checked into the hospital, I didn't expect to dilate from zero to seven centimeters in a little over an hour. I also didn't expect to demand an epidural- I really wanted to attempt a natural childbirth. Then again, I also didn't expect to be the woman that wouldn't allow people to speak in my presence when I was having painful contractions every forty-five seconds."




what advice would you have for first-time moms?

"When I was pregnant, I was the first of my friends to have a child, so I didn't have a ton of people in my ears telling me all of the what-if's, horror stories, or what they did, and what I should do; which, in hindsight, was a huge blessing. Now that a few of my friends have had babies, my advice to them is to pick and choose wisely who you go to for advice about pregnancy and parenthood. Also, always prepare yourself for a Plan B. Luckily, my Plan B turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Almost immediately after Marlo was born, I had a postpartum hemorrhage. And without going into too many details, I will just say that I was very thankful for the decision to receive an epidural, because if I hadn't, what they had to do to stop the bleeding would have been more painful than the actual childbirth."


how has the experience impacted your life?

"In every way imaginable.  It's changed the way that I see myself- how strong I am, mentally and physically. It's given me an entirely new respect for my body and what it's capable of. There's absolutely no room for body bashing when you've just grown, birthed, and are now feeding a human with your body. It made me realize just how much love I am able to give to someone. It's impacted the way that I see my own mother, for how selfless she was in raising me. It's completely changed the way that I see my husband and how much value I place on our relationship. I've always loved and respected him as an individual, but creating a human with him? It just changes the dynamic. It really made me aware of the depth behind the word family and how important these two people are to me. And, I've never been religious but it made me believe in a much bigger picture and a plan for my life that I don't have control over. It made me much more thankful just to wake up every day."



( all photos courtesy of smitten & hooked photography via: christine fadel )

Comments

  1. BEAUTIFUL <3 makes me want another baby... uh oh. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a powerful story! Babies come into this world in all manner of ways but the look on Chistine's face and that of her beloved while she cradles her new angel shows that the treasured moment at the end is something we all share. Beautiful :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is so absolutely beautiful. I would love to host a series where mothers can share their birth stories, whether in words or in pictures. I think it is one of the most profound moments in a woman's life. I loved Christine's blog as well. So real and honest. Thanks Kate for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that photograph with the oxygen mask and single tear will stay with me forever - it seems very poignant and such a beautiful, beautiful photograph. I love to read birth stories, the day seems so much more profound for reading them, thank-you for sharing.

    Flora x

    www.twowithseven.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and touching interview! The photo's are breathtaking and Christine's honest and genuine answers really touched me. That last paragraph about how this experience has impacted her life is just perfect, I can relate to Christine so much! Thank you so much for sharing this Kate! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this! It absolutely brought tears to my eyes.

    My first birth was so very similar. I was a few days overdue and then suddenly, it was as if someone flipped a switch. The most intense labor and birth I could have imagined- even more so (and faster) than my subsequent two births. I can also relate to the part about not being able to tolerate anyone speaking during the intense contractions. An intense labor is just that... and needs to be respected with calm!

    Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK