Skip to main content

FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE SPINNING IN CIRCLES

For the past few months I've realized I've had an incredibly hard time remembering to live in the moment.  When we don't live in the moment, all we do is worry about what our future holds, what we could have changed in the past, and in turn, we lose sight of all the countless, amazing things that happen every day in our present lives.

Yesterday night was one of the last nights that I could see all of my very best friends before they end up leaving for colleges far away/different COUNTRIES.  Even one of my good friends that moved to Texas was going to be there!  I was so stoked!  All these amazing women were the ones I learned to hoop with, had some of the best times of my life with, and are basically my sisters from another mister.  Well, so many things have placed us in different states and cities it was hard to see each other all the time, that fact alone still makes me sad... and well, some of us even got married and had babies... *ahem*... (like you all have ANY idea who that was.)

These girls were meeting my husband for the first time, and we were all generally enjoying each other's company and jamming out with our LED hoops after the rainstorm.  It was so amazing- not to even mention that it's been nearly a year since I've been back in the circle!  The best part about last night was that I remembered exactly why I love hooping so much and why it's not just a silly hobby to me.  It grounds me, it quiets that chatter in my head.  When I am spinning in circles, the only thing that matters is that moment in time, feeling the flow of the music as the lights flash around me.  I look around and see my best friends spinning circles, little three year old girls trying it out for the first time, even grown adults giving it a whirl-- it brings people so much joy.  It's weird.  And you know when you have to be really focused?  When you're spinning with fire.

DUN DUN DUN!!!!





























Not joking.  Fire is amazingly loud when you're whipping it past your body, it's warm, and it's blinding.  When you hoop with fire, you really cannot see anything around you except for the six wicks that are burning.  My friend Christine had an awesome plan, that if we saw one another catch on fire to yell "pineapple" (our safe word) and we'd drop the hoop and our safety would run over with the wet towel.  Exciting, right?  It's pretty hard to explain the exhilarating feeling you get when you're hooping, but I know now exactly why I need to get back in shape and back in the circle.  It's my place to let go of stress.  It's my place to remember who, exactly, I am.








First Burn of Summer from Kate Votta on Vimeo. PRESS THE HD BUTTON!
Getting back into the groove of things. Music by Lali Puna.
THANKS CHRISTINE, FOR THE EXPERIENCE.

Comments

  1. you are quite possibly the coolest person i've ever met. you're AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT?! FIRE?!?! You are so badass. And that video was seriously memorizing. Googling Lali Puna now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK