Skip to main content

WHY I'M NOT A SUPERMOM


Let's face the facts- I have a lot going on.  It seems everyone these days forgets (or just doesn't really know) what it means to be a parent.  Both Erick and I make a lot of effort to make sure Sofia has the best life, love and affection, and necessities she needs to grow up in a happy home.  Both of us working full time jobs... on top of freelancing... on top of previously mentioned 3 month old... it adds up to be one big neverending whirlwind we call "life" now.

Our week is compiled with me waking up at 6:00AM every morning, changing the baby, feeding the baby, barely making the time crunch to get ready for work, sitting in rush hour traffic, working an 8 to 9 hour day, sitting in rush hour traffic AGAIN, maybe squeezing in a few miles of a run (if I'm lucky), make dinner or find another option, feed baby, change baby, play with baby, take a bath, swaddle her up and put her to bed, work on freelance projects until my eyes droop over, sleep, then repeat FOR THE NEXT FIVE DAYS.  I have a total of maybe 3 hours a night where I'm actually up after I get home from work to be able to spend with my family and then it's back to sleep to start it all over.

Needless to say, our weekends now as adults are a constant game of catch-up.  Fun and going out (for whatever reason) is nearly non-existant.  Hell, we're even lucky if we have beer in the house to drink at home!  I guess is what I'm trying to say is that I'm no supermom.  I tried to do it all, and I failed.  But I do what I can.  And I'm sure I take on a lot more than most people.  Regardless of how hard I try, things will always be sacrificed, dishes will always be in the sink, laundry will always be a few days late, and certain projects I had going will be put on pause so I can spend time with the people that I love.

I will always have morning hair.

There will always be those thoughts of if I'm a good enough mom, a good enough wife, a good enough friend.  I'll wonder if I'm always going to work in retail or if I'll have the time to establish myself as a creative professional.  One thing is for sure- I'll always have to say "no" to certain events and parties, I'll always forget to do something I was supposed to do, and I'll always miss out on certain opportunities in order to make a life and a living for the people I call my family.  The people who will have my heart for the rest of my life.  There are countless, absolutely breathless moments that I receive as gifts of my labor.  You can't put a price on something like that.








^^  Especially the moments I spend watching my daughter dream.  I hope she dreams happy thoughts.  Memories of this crazy, beautiful life we've made.  She is my everything.

Comments

  1. Kate, that had to have been the most beautiful expression I've ever heard you say... there's a glimmer of hope behind every confession of weakness and imperfection because in being real about who you are and what you can do, you cut yourself a break when you should, you push when you have to and you get the MOST out of life! Thank God you don't havta be supermom to make you baby happy. Sophia loves you regardless, there's that inherent sense that you are always with her inside your heart. And your husband can hear it in your heartbeat... see it in the quiver of your broken smile or twitch of a tired eye... he knows you're doing all you can... and I just know he loves every ounce of you for it. I can't speak for all your friends, but I'd like to say that I admire you and am always always there for you if you think I can be of any help... anytime. That's what friends are for! To support... never to judge or expect more than you can give! Enjoy the rest of your day off and may you have strength to make it through yet another week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your approach! I'm right with you on the morning hair, yet i raise you with permanently unwashed morning hair. It's okay- grunge was cool in the 90's and it WILL return.


    Beautiful beautiful place you have here lady. I just need to figure out how to follow!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your approach! I'm right with you on the morning hair, yet i raise you with permanently unwashed morning hair. It's okay- grunge was cool in the 90's and it WILL return.


    Beautiful beautiful place you have here lady. I just need to figure out how to follow!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh i posted it twice. oops. How do i follow? I can't find it.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!! :D love you guys.

    @em idk what happened to my little widget on the side, I'll try and fix it tomorrow! Thanks for reading, i can't wait to stop by your blog! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, take it from this old battleax of a mother, you can't nor should you do it all. Your baby will not recall the dishes in your sink, she will remember all of the time and
    tenderness, all the smiles, all the love. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK