Skip to main content

FOR MAMA // LEARNING TO LET GO

sofia on her birth day


I've been reading a lot of birth stories lately, and for anyone that has had the chance to read ours, knows that it was anything but what Erick and I had planned for.  As great as it was, there were still some things that had initially bugged me.  But, as most new moms can tell you, sometimes it takes a while for feelings like these to surface.  I know that after I gave birth to Sofia, I found that I had ran on this "natural baby high" for a few months; it was only after re-reading other friends' stories, that had sparked these newly surfacing feelings of things I wish I had done differently.

As I think ahead, I know that I want more children in the future.  The thought honestly scares me a bit because for the past hour I've been sitting here slowly realizing that I still need to make peace with birth before I ever even think about having another baby.  I need to make peace with the fact that it's not the end of the world if you have to get an epidural.  A lot of what happened during Sofia's birth just totally through me for a loop and honestly, it was pretty petrifying at first.  I wasn't expecting to give birth that day.  I wasn't expecting to be induced.  Well, the great thing about it is that I know now.  I really have to learn to make peace with birth and the glorious process that it is.  It will definitely take some time, but I know I can find comfort in the fact I will be ready and willing to expect... the unexpected.

Don't clutch so desperately onto some "plan" of action.  Breathe a little deeper.  Trust those around you.  Pray a little more often, and honestly let it all go.


Comments

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I loved reading this post, and thanks for sharing. I completely understand what your feeling. My daughter Chloe was born in June, i was supposed to have a natural birth with my midwives at a birthcenter. I ended up needing to be induced at 41 weeks and 3 days and had to labor and deliver at the hospital, then after being stuck at 8 cm for over 2 hours I gave in and got an epidural, a few hours later and some rest I was still an 8 and my daughter hadn't dropped at all. I ended up getting a c-section. I was pretty devastated that the birth I wanted for my daughter didn't happen, it took awhile to really heal from that. I feel better now about it but of course I still wish Chloe's birth would have gone as planned. I found you on Top baby blogs by the way. i'm on there too, My Family of Three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping in, I'm brand new to Top Baby Blogs but I'm so glad I signed up so I can meet other mamas going through the same thing!! I'll make sure to sing by your blog today, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK