Skip to main content

SOFIA TURNS ONE // A BACKYARD BIRTHDAY PARTY


Sofia,

Over this past weekend we had a celebration for you and somehow, you have managed to speed through this first year of life faster than I ever imagined.  Your Papa and I planned a backyard party where we invited all of your friends and family to come over and eat and laugh and play.  I had absolutely no idea how much work actually goes into planning a party-- especially one at your own place!  We were definitely worried that we wouldn't have enough space, but thankfully we were able to make it work (and most certainly not without the help of our "village" like both of your amazing sets of grandparents).  Both me and your Papa were running around all day making sure every last detail was tended to, and now looking back on these photos, I think we did a pretty good job!  There are lots of people out there that think planning a party like this is silly because if you're only one, you don't remember anything.  I'd like to tell those people otherwise!  I could tell even by the look of pure joy on your face that, even if you didn't fully comprehend what was going on, I knew you knew this day was special.  Watching you play on the grass with your best baby friends and take a swing at your birthday piñata was magical, and the fact that not once did you cry, and you stayed up well past your bedtime without any naps in-between shows just how much of a little social butterfly you are.  Through everything, the highlight of our day was lighting the candle of your giant cupcake and hearing all of your wonderful guests singing happy birthday to you.  I'll even let you in on a little secret:  your Papa and I couldn't even finish singing because we both started to cry.  You'll probably get a good laugh over this when you're older!  I feel so thankful and blessed to have such a strong community of love and support like all of your friends and family that came to help, to celebrate, to grab the camera and take some photos for me, or even just to stop by and say hello.  You are one special little girl, Sofia.  We are so lucky to be your parents, and wish you many more happy birthdays just like this.  We love you to the moon and back.

Love, Bama and Papa

Comments

  1. Ummm why weren't we invited?

    Kidding.

    You guys all look fantastic! And happy birthday again, little miss one years old (oh my gosh, now I'M gonna cry)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Carissa - I only wish you lived closer!! I'm still begging Erick for a Florida trip! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You planned an awesome party! Did you make that adorable cupcake? And all the decorations! I'm so happy for you, and your family. Sofia is just as lucky to have you and your husband as parents.

    The love and support that come from family and friends around milestones like this is amazing. It is overwhelming at times.

    I adore Sofia's outfit and yours! Your skirt is so pretty!
    Enjoy all. the. toys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw super fun! Love the confetti stuff on the balloons - is it from Confetti system of did you make it yourself? Also, you look mighty pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh happy birthday to that sweet dolly! Look at that huge cupcake, I love it! Where did you find those huge balloons? I'm trying to gather party ideas for my daughter's 18th birthday :o

    Great great pics, they really tell the story:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! The confetti streamers on the balloons was a DIY project I whipped up last minute- its tissue paper! The balloons themselves are 36" rounds that I ordered from shopsweetlulu.com. Giant cupcake was another DIY using a cake pan and Joy The Baker's amazing bundt cake recipe. Hope this helps! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWWW Happy Birthday Sofia!!! what a gorgeous party, you pulled it off really well, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post so much! These pictures are beautiful and Sofia is so adorable! It looks like you did such an amazing job putting together Sofia's birthday party! I bet she will love looking through these pictures when she gets older!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this makes my heart happy! The pink and gold, Sof with her cake, Sof with her presents, Sof with the pinata/candy... It looks like you all had such a wonderful day with lots of love.

    (and how sweet to see Justina with her baby!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. those balloons are so legit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so gorgeous kate! you are so right about the effort that goes into a party.. I usually collapse in a heap afterward! and what about you two, tearing up after the cake :) this parenting gig is just too bloody emotional sometimes! sofia looks like she had a wonderful time, happy birthday little one! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK