Skip to main content

A BONFIRE OF SORTS


Just as the sun began to set, we had fired up our stove and gathered materials.  Over the past two years, I had realized that one of the downsides of moving from the countryside into the city was not getting to spend as much time enjoying the simple pleasures of a star-lit sky, or a warm bonfire surrounded by friends.  We would often celebrate the breaking in of crisp, spring nights with a freshly lit fire and s'mores to pass around -- telling new stories to old friends, burrowed deeply in blankets and immersed in fond conversation with great company.  "I've never seen anyone burn a bonfire in Chicago."  I believe it's illegal, actually.  We don't have much for a backyard, but we do have candles, blankets, a stove for roasting marshmallows and of course, each other.  After we had tucked in our daughter, nestled warm in her own crib, we began to tip-toe quietly back to the kitchen and lit the stove.  Huddled together with forks in hand, we laughed as we watched our marshmallows swell and start to brown.  Now is such a special, yet challenging time as our first year as newlyweds.  Experiences and moments that are solely reserved for my husband and I are few and far between.  We can make the most of what we do have, and find a way to re-create those memories of simpler times; memories of folding chairs in the middle of backyard forests, friends that are too far away, tiki torches, and mosquito bites.  This is the way we rekindle our love, a new-age urban bonfire of sorts.  Nothing too complicated, and just the way we like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle...

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK  

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t...