Skip to main content

A QUIET MORNING



Being able to take my time in the mornings was something I always treasured.  It would often be later in the afternoon - sometimes around eleven or twelve.  I would slowly crawl out of bed and head out to brunch with my husband.  Never too early, and never too rushed.  Now at the strike of half-past seven, I am greeted at a (much) earlier time.  A tiny person who hears the tiniest beginnings of birdsongs and first glimpses of sunlight makes sure that I too, am up to greet the day.

I mentioned in an earlier post how routine is so important to me, this is especially so for the start of my day.  I will tip-toe while half asleep to Sofia's room and sing her the song I made for her to wake to.  We groggily dance in the early morning sun and put on a fresh pair of pajamas.  If I'm lucky, we can make it back to our room where I'll try to catch a few extra minutes of sleep before my hair is being tugged, eyes are playfully poked, or drool has dripped on my cheek from a mouth other than my own.  I'll put on a teapot of water, grind up fresh coffee beans, and begin to create the single cup of lasting energy I use to get through the day.  As I'm beginning to see more of my daughter's personality, I am thankful I see some of "me" in her.  She quietly tends to her toys in the morning, crawling over to the container holding them and picking her favorites: usually Minnie Mouse or her crinkle-flashcards.  It's almost strange how she knows I need that twenty minutes of time to myself where I enjoy my coffee, make a simple breakfast, and curl up with a blanket for a few minutes watching her play.

She has a routine, as do I.

Yet still amongst these traditions, we spend our quiet mornings...  together.


Comments

  1. Such beautiful pictures and words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jennifer. You have a gift with your words. Every post is written so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and a beautiful one at that!


    oh i love your words and this routine.
    sounds like the perfect mother-daughter start to your days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle...

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK  

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t...