Skip to main content

interview : tigerlilly quinn


There couldn't be a more perfect interview to start 2013 - I am so excited share the story of the lovely Fritha from Tigerlilly Quinn.  Fritha is not only one of DASJ's new sponsors for January, but a fellow mum, and an incredibly talented illustrator.  If you haven't had the chance to visit her shop yet, I highly recommend doing so.  It's really taking everything in me right now to not purchase every single print and tea towel! (And that coffee set... sigh!) She is truly one of the sweetest ladies I've ever had the pleasure of corresponding with, and I just can't wait to follow along with her this year - and her big plans for 2013.  So exciting!

I had the pleasure of getting to know this beautiful mama a bit better, here were some questions asked...

- - -

What is it about blogging that you love?

Initially I started my blog as a way to share some of the neat things I found on the internet. My boyfriend and I were working towards buying our own home so a lot of it was interior design based (we are talking three years ago before Pinterest). My family and friends knew of my blog and urged me to share some of my latest artwork on there too so it started turning into more of an art blog. From there a gained a few more readers and as such started sharing bits of my life and so gradually my blog has evolved into a 'lifestyle' blog. I love reading comments from my blog readers and this is probably what I would say inspired me to continue blogging. However in all honestly I believe that blogging has made me try a little more in real life, whether it be to get out the house and have an adventure, draw a picture of take a photograph of my family. Blogging has pushed me to do these things a little more than perhaps i would have otherwise so I think it is this that makes me love blogging.  

As a fellow mother, what are some tips and tricks you can share you've learned along the way?
 
My son Wilf has just turned one years old so I cant say I am a seasoned pro at this motherhood thing (who is!) but if anything, I would say the most important thing it to trust yourself. You cant learn parenting from a book you can only go with your own instincts. That being said I do enjoy reading books like 'What Mothers do' as it validates the everyday things you do with your children as being the most important things. That you may get to the end of the day thinking 'what have I even done today??' your house is a mess and you have a ton of things on your to-do list but that really you have been supporting and nurturing your child/children without even noticing it and supporting them in becoming the people they are. 

What inspires you?


My partner is my biggest fan when it comes to my projects and I love chatting to him about my artwork and blog, he comes up with some great ideas and supports me in my decisions. I am also inspired to create a life in which I am happy with my work, I spent all of my adult working life in jobs that paid the bills but destroyed my soul. Having Wilf and becoming a work at home mum has made me realise the passion I have for being able to work at home and be with my family.

Tell us a bit more about you - where are you from?


My name is Fritha Moonbeatle Tigerlilly Quinn Strickland and I am from Bristol a small city in the South West of England. I was actually born here in a room in a small flat in a poor area of the city called Stokes Croft. My parents and I moved away from Bristol when I was six months and have since lived in countless places across the UK. I decided to move back to Bristol when I was 22 where I met my boyfriend Tom and me moved in together. It wasn't until I showed my parents where we have moved to that we realised that it was the very same building they had first moved in together also! My Dad and Tom also share the same surname (I was given my mother's surname) and I had Wilf at 26 the very same age my mum was when she had me! I find it so funny to think of history repeating itself like this! 

Any projects or special new things you're working on?

When I was pregnant with Wilf I really wanted to spend 2012 launching a line of baby clothes with my designs, I guess I didn't realise quite how consuming the first year of motherhood would be and its really only in the last couple of months I have been able to find the time to pick up my sketch book again but I am determined to make 2013 the year to achieve this dream!


If told to use only three words to describe yourself, which would you choose?

Oh this is such a hard question! I would hope I am kind, thoughtful and strong willed.

- - -

Interested in sponsoring in 2013?  take a peek at our prices and offerings here - or contact me directly for more information on discounted 3 and 6 month bookings.

Photo Credit: Tigerlilly Quinn

Comments

  1. New fan waving her hand wildly over here! Hiiiiiiiiiiiii!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiiii! So glad of you to make it over- been enjoying your blog for a while now :)

      Delete
  2. oh this is fun! i wanna play! love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

curious little gifts : a moonbeatle giveaway

A few of you may remember the talented Fritha from Tigerlily Quinn , as I interviewed her a few weeks back on the blog.  She so generously has offered up the perfect little collection of curious gifts from her Etsy shop - Moonbeatle !  I am in love with everything she creates, especially the brand new hand-painted kids tees... aren't they perfect?  Complete with prints, tea towels, plates and a tee for the little one in your life, this is the perfect gift set (maybe even in time for Valentine's Day!) Here's what one lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans reader will receive: 1. One illustrated Trailer Park Love tea towel , perfect with your morning cup of tea, or to decorate your kitchen. Winner will choose their preferred style - valued at $16 2. The sweetest hand-illustrated plate , just in time for Valentine's Day. Before Fritha, I never knew that an octopus has three hearts! - valued at $12 3 . An A4 size, unframed ink illustration of Moonbeatle

giveaway : a very merry christmas

I am so thrilled to be working with these amazing companies to offer two lucky Diapers & Skinny Jeans readers a chance at winning a Christmas package of handcrafted goodies for their little ones.  We have quite the collection of some of my favorite items from around the web lately - clothing, shoes, wooden cameras for budding "little" photographers, knitted toys, mobiles for baby's rooms, even nursing necklaces! To enter you must: • be a follower of Diapers & Skinny Jeans • leave a comment telling me which package you'd like to win • be of 18 years of age, or older • earn an extra entry by liking Diapers & Skinny Jeans on Facebook (please leave a separate comment stating you've "liked") • winners will be randomly selected based on comment number, and drawn on Wednesday, December 5th to try to make the cutoff for deliveries by Christmas.  Announcements will be made back on this post, and also on Facebook .  If t

bump : week 23

The sub-zero weather has kept us indoors, but it hasn't kept us from having the most amount of fun possible.  I've been enjoying hot cups of tea served with teaspoons of sugar and condensed milk, curling up with my favorite blanket and enjoying the tap-tap, nudge-nudge of the littlest De La Rosa.  Though I find myself playing catch up yet again (I'm 24 weeks!) I'm not complaining in the least bit.  I've had this little family of mine all to myself for a full four days with no work, no emails, no agenda and no pressure.   Ahhhhh... happy winter celebration, little baby. PS- did you know Erick finally launched his website ?  It's up, it's responsive, and it's gorgeous. I'm a proud muma bear. WEARING : SHORT SLEEVE CREW NECK TSHIRT DRESS IN ASH GREY SEA FOAM BY AMERICAN APPAREL    |    PHOTOS:  BY ERICK